Tuesday, March 30, 2010

100 Years of Solitude Ch. 1-5

The character I choose to write about is Jose Arcadio Buendia; I will abbreviate his name with JAB. I think that his character comes out most strongly in the first and second chapters because we get to see his irrationality and how he cant seem to stay focused on one specific thing for very long. This is shown in the first chapter when he is completely entranced by the gifts that are brought by the gypsies every year. He irrationally spends money on these items and then causes some kind of trouble. When he finally has the alchemy set it seems as though he will stick to it, which he does, but that causes its own problems. He melts down Ursula’s family gold, and stays transfixed to the set for years completely missing his kids’ childhoods. You can also see how he has a way of becoming transfixed with his own ideas. An example is when he takes the men on a voyage to reach the next town. I see some similarities between JAB and Don Quixote. I believe that JAB is in almost his own reality and has no concern for anyone else. However, there is also a contradiction because he is the one who set up the village and is seen as a leader.
Urusla just puts up with his nonsense, which I think is similar to many of the other females we have read about. However, she too has a bout of independence and wanders off on her own for some time.
I’m not really sure about a symbol or a theme. I think that there is an aspect of magic or enchantment in the novel that will come about more strongly throughout. So far we have seen it in some of the actions of Aureliano, some of the experiments by JAB and the alchemy set, and also in things brought by the gypsies (the magic carpet.)
Interestingly I thought I had never read this book, but as I began reading I realized I have read this before. However, I have no idea when I read it and have no idea what happens next I just remember reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment