Thursday, March 4, 2010

Don Quixote Day 4 (ch 28-35)

The first quote that I chose was on in chapter 32 on the top of page 294. I will not type out the whole quote, but the it is during the discussion on between the innkeeper and the priest about burning the books. The innkeeper says, “I am not so mad to become a knight errant, and it is clear to me that things are different now.” He was also talking about how he would rather burn a child than burn the book. I think that this explanation from the innkeeper is more like the moral that the entire book of Don Quixote is trying to portray. We discussed in class how it is a possibility that Don Quixote is not crazy he just sees things differently. I believed this at the beginning, but as we have kept reading I find that Don Quixote really is crazy, in my mind. He has no respect for anyone or anything except for himself and his fantasy. This is why all the other characters have to lie to him and play along with his fantasy to get him to do what they want. The innkeeper is the true visionary because he can see the value of the books and the value of fiction, but he does not act on the fantasy because it is out dated and too far fetched. The innkeeper can understand with out having to subject himself to an unstable reality.

The other quote I picked is from chapter 35 on page 331. It is where Don Quixote is fighting the “giant.” He says that all the things in the house are “enchanted” because he can no longer see the head of the giant he just cut off. Don Quixote seems to just do whatever he wants and when his vision seems to disappear from his mind he blames everything else on being enchanted. He never seems to think that he may be the one that is crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment