Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dante's Inferno Cantos 14-20

A line that I feel is note worthy is line 98-99 in canto 15. It reads “he listens well who takes note” When I read this I immediately thought again of this journey as a lesson. In this particular canto it is referring to listening to the words of Brunetto Latino. Who resides in hell with the sodomites, which is interesting because in the notes in the book that Dante seems shocked to see him as a homosexual. However, it could also be believed according to the book that in life Brunetto and Dante crossed paths at one point, and Brunetto was attracted to Dante. Dante turned down his advances at the time. I almost thought of this lesson as a foreshadow to a sin that Dante may gain interest to, which we briefly mentioned in class. Which is when Dante sees the pit of naked men has wishes to join them.

I find it very interesting that the book not only applies these lesson to Dante in his journey, but also to the reader.

 

I have  a question about something that is brought up repeatedly once Dante enters the eighth circle, I believe, with all the pits. The word “hunger” and “sated” are repeated. I am just not sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment